Thursday 31 October 2013

October Flash - Day 30

Yes, this was last year.
Yes, I never finished with it then.
That's why I'm going to do it now! (Plus, they're starting a similar project in November this year, and I want to get the old one finished before that, which means two stories a day which is practically impossible, but yeah.)

The Flash Fiction Project at Google+ has something new going on! There will be a visual prompt for every day in October, and I'm going to try to write a (very) short piece for it every day as well. Due to time zone differences, I'll try writing and posting mine early in the morning, so it's a day after the original post for me, but still the same for them.

Let the fun begin! Here is the prompt for October 30:





"I promise we're almost there, but that last part we have to do on foot."
"I can't even see where I'm going in all this snow!"
Larry took Helen's hand and pulled. "Just follow me, then."
Together they tumbled through the snow, following a handrail.
"Oh, wait, we could use some of these!" With his other hand, Larry started snapping icicles from the wood. "Could you take some, too? It shouldn't be too cold with your gloves."
"Well, OK..."
They continued on their way, snapping and collecting icicles as they went.
"What do we need icicles for?"
"You'll see. Almost there now..."
Just as Larry said it, a hut appeared a bit to their left, a single storey thing made of wood. Larry unlocked the door and opened it for Helen.
"Welcome," he said, "to our refuge for the weekend."
The hut had only a single room, with a door on the right leading to a small bathroom. To the left was a kitchenette and next to it some curtains with which a double bed could be separated from the main room. The most prominent feature was a huge fireplace across from the entrance, where a merry fire was already dancing, luring the couple closer with its light and warmth.
"Here, give me the ice." Larry took the icicles from Helen's hand and went to the kitchenette, throwing them on a plate.
"Will you tell me what it's for now?"
"Drinks." He smiled. "But first, I think we should get rid of our wet clothes. We can hang them up near the fireplace to dry."
"And what are we going to wear then? My spare clothes are so cold from outside!" She winked at him.
"Well, I'm sure close to the fire it should be warm enough to cope without clothes for a while..."
"You mean on this convenient polar bear rug with the blankets and cushions directly in front of the fire?"
"Yeah, that could work, don't you think?"
"I shouldn't forget the drinks, though, if I were you. And the ice. You never know, it might get too hot with all this burning... wood."

No comments:

Post a Comment